When it comes to having a clean house, the perfectly planned party, or a delicious new recipe- I tend to pay close attention to detail. I love that kind of stuff… maybe because of my old soul, but regardless I have a knack for that kind of stuff. Experimenting in the kitchen falls into that category as well… so here’s the latest:
Sweet Potato Squash Soup
- 1 acorn squash (sliced long ways and seeded)
- 1 butternut squash (sliced long ways and seeded)
- 4-6 sweet potatoes (sliced long ways)
- 1 medium onion
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/3 cups coconut milk
- brown sugar
- ground ginger
- olive oil
This recipe was fairly easy and absolutely delicious. There are so many fall soup recipes out there, but I think its fun to mess around and see what you come up with!
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Slice both the acorn and butternut squash in half, long ways, and remove the seeds. Slice sweet potatoes long ways and face all items face side up on a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil, sprinkle salt and pepper, and bake for 1 hour or until vegetables are soft enough to scoop out of the skins. Remove from skins and place aside in bowl.
2) Finely chop onion and heat in soup pot with olive oil until soft.
3) Add chicken broth, squash, and potatoes. Stir. This is then where experimenting with flavors began. The soup was cooked for about 15 minutes and while stirring and simmering brown sugar, ground ginger, and cinnamon were added to taste.
4) Blend in a blender until smooth and return to pot. The texture was so smooth and creamy, I couldn’t wait to dig in!
5) Once back in the soup pot, I added coconut milk and additional ginger, brown sugar, and cinnamon to taste. The amount of coconut milk that you add, depends on how thick or thin you want it.
We tried it with different add ins- cinnamon, sour cream, shredded fontina cheese. The soup itself was sweet and warm, and the flavor was kicked up with the different toppings.
The recipe ended up making so much that I was able to freeze a large portion of it for another time! Overall, it turned out better than I expected and I will definitely be keeping this recipe readily available! Try it out!